Thomas Potter currently serves the City of Texarkana, Arkansas, as prosecutor in District Court, and he has recently been elected District Judge of Miller County, Arkansas. This Request for Qualifications is developed pursuant to §§19-11-803, 804, 805. Respondents may submit qualifications for the requested legal services (District Court work). Firms or individual attorneys should be licensed to practice in Arkansas.
II. Types of Legal Service Sought
There are three requirements regarding District Court services for the City. Firms or individual attorneys must be able to provide these services.
(a) Conduct all prosecutorial services for the City, appearing before the courts, i.e., District Court, Circuit Court, and administrative tribunals, as necessary. The firm or individual attorney must be available to handle all phone calls related to misdemeanor cases handled in District Court and Circuit Court.
(b) Provide all legal services necessary for the operation of District Court.
(c) Provide all secretarial support, office supplies, and all law books and materials necessary to meet the City’s legal needs.
III. Conflict of Interest
Firms or individual attorneys submitting qualifications for legal services should be sensitive to potential conflict of interests. All potential conflicts must be disclosed.
IV. Fees for Legal Services
Pursuant to §19-11-804, the City shall select the firm or individual attorney best qualified through the evaluation process and negotiate a contract with that firm or individual attorney. Fees are not a consideration until the most qualified firm or individual attorney is selected and negotiations have begun.
V. Statement of Qualifications
The following information must be included in the statement of qualifications:
- Transmittal letter.
- Name, address, and contact person for the firm or individual attorney.
- Specialized experience and technical competence of firm or individual attorney providing the proposed service. This should include specific, detailed information regarding the attorney actually providing services if the statement is submitted by a firm. Municipal experience will be considered a plus, and statements should highlight past governmental clients.
- Capacity and capability of the firm or individual attorney to perform the work involved. Specifically, a list of current clients should be provided with a clear explanation of how the City’s workload will be balanced against existing clients. The statement should provide a method to assure the City that critical District Court issues will be handled as a priority.
- Past record of performance of the firm or individual attorney. Your statement should include names and telephone numbers of any clients who can provide references regarding performance.
The responsible respondent whose statement is most advantageous to the City will be selected to perform the services. A review committee will analyze each submission. The weight given to each evaluation factor shall be determined by the review committee:
- Specialized experience and technical competence
- Previous municipal and governmental experience
- Capacity and capability to meet City’s needs
- Past Performance
Questions regarding this Request for Qualifications or any related issue may be addressed to Dr. Kenny Haskin, City Manager as shown in Paragraph VIII.
VIII. Submission Deadline
Submissions should be submitted no later than 2:00 p.m. on Monday, November 30, 2020, to:
Dr. Kenny Haskin
City of Texarkana, Arkansas
By mail: P. O. Box 2711
Texarkana, Arkansas 75504
IX. Contract Dates
The contract will be awarded on December 21, 2020 and become effective January 1, 2021.