Manufactured Home Requirements
Before applying for a permit:
- Provide a copy of the deed to the property. Contact the Miller County Circuit Clerk (870) 775-4501.
- Provide a survey site plan of the property. Contact a surveyor.
- Provide the detailed construction drawings. The mobile home manufacturer will provide you this information upon request.
- Verify zoning compliance. A specific use permit may be required. Contact Planning Department Carl Teel (870) 779-4974 or Mary Beck (870) 779-4944.
- Verify whether or not land is located in a floodplain. Contact Nina Walker (870)779-4971.
- Obtain Water and Sewer Availability sheet from Texarkana Water Utilities. (801 Wood Street)
- If city sewer main is not within 300 feet of your property, you will be required to install a private septic system.
- For a private septic system permit, contact Miller County Health Department. (903) 904-5164
Submit two (2) copies of the site plan with the following information indicated on the drawing. The Site Plan shall be prepared by a licensed Arkansas
- Legal description
- Property lines and pins
- Right-of-way, easements and setbacks
- Name and location of streets
- All existing and proposed structures, distance of structures from property lines and other structures on property
- Location of driveway
- Minimum finished floor elevation, if within the 100-year flood plain
- Drainage plan
Submit a set of detailed construction drawings for the home including foundation and installation plans. (The manufacturer will
provide the detailed construction drawing information to you.)
Regulations for Manufactured Homes in the R-1—Rural Residential Overlay Zone
- Porches and decks. The manufactured home shall be had a covered, recessed entranceway or a permanent covered porch with the porch roof integrated into the roofline of the manufactured home and covered in the same shingles or roofing material as the manufactured home; uncovered sundecks shall be permitted on the rear of the manufactured home.
- Off-street parking. Each manufactured home shall provide two (2) paved off-street parking spaces located behind the front setback line and a paved driveway with a concrete driveway approach at the road.
- Minimum width/dimension. Minimum dimension for any side of the manufactured home shall be no less than twenty (20) feet. The home must be a double-wide or larger multi-section unit.
- Front door. The manufactured home shall be appropriately placed on the lot, with the front door or entry of the manufactured home oriented to the front of the lot (narrow dimension of the lot having frontage on the street or road). All required setbacks (front, side, and rear) shall be met without any exceptions or variances from the Texarkana, Arkansas Board of Adjustment. However, corner-lot owners have the option to face the front door of the manufactured home toward the street of their choosing.
- Foundation. The manufactured home shall be attached and anchored to a permanent foundation in conformance with the manufacturer’s installation specifications.
- Installation. The manufactured home shall be constructed or installed in accordance with the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer and the rules and regulations of the state, including site preparation, pier foundations (footings), support columns, and anchoring. Towing devices must be removed if possible or concealed in a manner acceptable to the city.
- Exterior covering. The manufactured home shall be covered with an exterior material customarily used on residential dwellings, and such material shall extend over the top of the foundation unless said foundation is constructed of solid brick, stone, or masonry material.
- Roof. The manufactured home shall have a roof composed of materials such as fiberglass, shake, asphalt or tile, which shall be installed in compliance with the building code. The roof shall have a minimum pitch of three (3) feet vertical rise for every twelve (12) feet of horizontal run (3:12).
- Certificate of occupancy. No home shall be occupied until it has received a certificate of occupancy issued by the Building Official subsequent to compliance with all provisions of this and other pertinent laws and ordinances.
- Perimeter foundation enclosure (skirting). The manufactured home shall have skirting or a curtain wall constructed of materials approved by the city that have a useful or life expectancy of twenty-five (25) years or more. Such enclosure shall be installed and ventilated in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions or the rules and regulations promulgated by the Arkansas Manufactured Commission.
- Landing steps. The manufactured home shall have permanent landings and steps provided at each exterior doorway from the door threshold to ground level.