Procedures to Obtain an Address Assignment
- Applicant must fill out the address assignment form available from the Planning Division – Public Works Department (basement of City Hall Building @ 216 Walnut Street).
- The applicant must provide the legal description of the property to be addressed;
- “Lot & Block Description Legal Description”, e.g. Lot 7, Block 3, of John Doe Subdivision. If the property covers more/less than 1 lot, or fractions of multiple lots, the applicant must provide a copy of their Deed. A copy of the property deed may be obtained at the Miller County Circuit Clerk’s Office.
- If the property is not in a “Lot & Block Legal Description”, which is known as a “Metes & Bounds Legal Description”, the applicant must provide a copy of their property deed. A copy of the property deed can be obtained at the Miller County Circuit Clerk’s Office.
- “Metes & Bounds” property that is less than five (5) acres in size must be platted into a single-lot subdivision and recorded before an address assignment can be issued. Information on what is needed for a single-lot subdivision plat can be obtained from the Planning Division – Public Works Department and can be approved by the city staff if municipal water and sanitary sewer service (private wells & septic tank systems permissible in certain circumstances) is available and permanent access by an existing street exists.
- After all of the information needed from the applicant is provided, the Planning Division staff will plot the property on a city map to determine where the property is located and where it falls in the block range system the City utilizes.
- Research will be done to determine if there was a city style address assigned prior to the current request and an address will then be assigned after a visual inspection of the property and surrounding addresses is made.
- Once the new address assignment is finalized a letter, copy of the completed address application and a copy of the city address ordinance will be mailed to the applicant and a copy of the assignment will be forwarded to various utilities and emergency management agencies.
- The process for an address assignment takes between three (3) to five (5) working days to complete if no problems arise.