City Manager – Dr. Kenny Haskin
Some of the basic roles, responsibilities, and powers of the City Manager include:
- Supervision of day-to-day operations of all City departments and staff.
- Preparation, monitoring, and execution of the City budget, which includes submitting each year to the Board of Directors a proposed budget package with options and recommendations for its consideration and possible approval;
- Chief Advisor to the Mayor and Board of Directors on overall governmental operations;
- Public relations, such as meeting with citizens, citizen groups, businesses, and other stakeholders; and
- Operating the City with a professional understanding of how all City functions operate together to their best effect.
The City Manager is also bound by a rather rigid and strongly enforced Code of Ethics that was originally established in 1924 by ICMA (International City/County Management Association).
Before serving as City Manager, Dr. Haskin was the Assistant City Manager/Director of Economic Development for several years. He was responsible for building positive relationships between employers and local governments and coordinating all economic and community development activities, i.e., prospect visits, business retention, strategic planning, and contract negotiations.